Tuesday, May 24, 2011

25 Days of Christmas: Holiday Essentials!

Tis The Season for Holiday Movies, and I've got a list of 25 essential viewing pleasures! And I'll compile this list while I listen to Whitney's 2003 Christmas album, "One Wish," which she made in the midst of her decade long crack attack. It's an all-over-the-place doozie of an album that I highly recommend! Here are my top 25 must see holiday movies or specials, in no particular order. Let me know what I might have missed, and some of your favorites!

1) NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS - Tim Burton and Danny Elfman's most profound collaboration to date. Forever classic!

2) PLANES TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES - We can see how special John Hughes heart is when viewing this hilarious and ultimately touching Thanksgiving classic.

3) PIECES OF APRIL - Katie Holmes tries to create the perfect Thanksgiving dinner for her dysfunctional family in this original, moving story. Patricia Clarkson was nominated for her outstanding, often hilarious performance.

4) HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS - Jodie Foster directs Holly Hunter, Robert Downey Jr., and Dylan McDermott in this essential flick that effectively conveys the ups and downs of the American Family Holiday experience.

...3 annual holiday staples...

5) THE SOUND OF MUSIC
6) WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
7) THE WIZARD OF OZ

8) BAD SANTA - Billy Bob Thornton is a very bad santa, with a foul mouth!

9) MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET - The spirit of Christmas is alive and well in this timeless classic.

Horror fans will enjoy these 3 gems...

10) BLACK CHRISTMAS - Very creepy original, an excellent horror flick that precedes Halloween and Friday The 13th.
11) SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT - I hope you spend Christmas...on the warm side of the door!
12) DEAD END - A holiday staple in my home. Spend Christmas in hell this year!

(This Whitney Houston album is seriously hilarious!)

13) THE REF - Directed by the late and the great Ted Demme, this hilarious Christmas film stars the ridiculously talented Denis Leary, Judy Davis and Kevin Spacey! Buy It This Year!

13) ELF - Directed by Jon Favreau and starring Will Ferrell. That's all you need to know!

14) FUNNY FARM - This, to me, qualifies because of the Christmastime ending. Chevy Chase in one of his best, funniest movies. Cue The Deer!

Here come the cartoon classics...

15) Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
16) Frosty The Snowman
17) Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
18) The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
19) A Charlie Brown Christmas

20) PEE WEE'S PLAYHOUSE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - This 1988 star-studded treat is magical! Will This ever be available on DVD? I must watch it every year or it just isn't Christmas!

21) A CHRISTMAS STORY - You'll shoot your eye out! The Leg Lamp! The frozen pole! Good Times!

22) HOME ALONE - Another John Hughes instant classic! Miss you John!

23) HOME ALONE: LOST IN NEW YORK - A slightly inferior sequel, but good enough!

24) A CHRISTMAS CAROL or SCROOGE - I'll go with the 1951 Alastair Sim version. Though many have tried to recapture this outstanding version, it stands the test of time.

25) IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE - One of the greatest movies of all time. I'm blown away every time I see it!

Honorable mentions:

CHRISTMAS VACATION - My parents and their friends go on and on about how funny this one is. I just think it's ok. But because it makes them so happy, I'll give it a mention.

WHITE CHRISTMAS - It's been too long to remember how I liked this one. I know I like the song, but what of the story...I don't remember, but maybe I'll check it out if I catch it on TV this year.

Well, there you have it. Let me know some of your favorites. Have a great holiday season!

Make It A BOB-Buster Night!

1 comment:

  1. Pee Wee's Christmas Special is on DVD! Hooray! And the new Christmas special, "Hoops and Yoyo Ruin Christmas" is another essential! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete