Friday, September 14, 2012

3 Days At Fisher Nuts, And A Lifetime's Worth Of Education!

It was my first day at Fisher Nuts. I had my lab coat on, and my goofy hairnet and slippers. My mentor was Betty. Betty is black. She will forever be known as Black Betty. We hit it off right away. I asked Betty how she liked the job. She immediately replied, "I fucking hate it." she apologized for being so blunt. I told her to tell it like it is. Then I told her I was really scared. My first task was an exciting one. Label the boxes. Lift the boxes. Put the boxes on a pallet. Repeat until insane. For hours I kept up with the fast-paced machine. It felt like days. At lunch I told Betty how right she was! "How does someone do this for 8 hours, every day?" I asked, bewildered. Betty said, "ten." I said, "What???" She said, "it's 10 hours. We work 10 hour shifts." We laughed until we cried. How did I get on to the expressway to hell? Day 2 was great! I made boxes all day! For 10 hours. My fingers hurt. Day 3 was the greatest of all, not only because it was the last, but because it was totally action-packed! I lifted heavy boxes and couldn't keep up with the machine. I grabbed jars of peanuts from one conveyer belt and placed them onto another as fast as I could, over and over again, for hours on end. Grab, twist, release. Grab, twist, release. Repeat until insane. When I left that day I knew that I would probably never return to this hellpit. The job paid $8.25 an hour. Slave Labor! The machines were too fast. We are not animals! I swear if they didn't have to worry about germs, hair and contaminations they would have monkeys in there doing this shit. There were mostly Mexicans, then Blacks, then a few White dudes. The Mexicans and Blacks kept to themselves and didn't seem to like each other very much. Everyone there looked like they wanted to kill themselves. Not one person I talked to liked their job and said the company treats them like shit. I am going to make a documentary, exposing corporate America. Who wants to help? I will not miss Fisher Nuts, but I sure will miss my Black Betty. As I was leaving on that final day I remember thinking, "how can a building be so beautiful on the outside, and so ugly on the inside?"

No comments:

Post a Comment