Saturday, September 15, 2012

MOVIES AS MEDICINE!

May 30, 2009 I have been ill as of late and am on some cheap ass antibiotics. Just 4 bucks down at the Walmart. My car is also under the weather and has indeed broken down, but is currently in repair. Major Bum-O-Rama, but the silver lining is in the serious down time. In this solitude I have wondered when I have felt so alone. Maybe it's because I am returning to school Monday via the dreaded online class. Two online classes in fact. I am not looking forward to this because I know that I thrive on the companionship of my fellow classmates. It's not the same when my colleagues are just words on a screen, and yet here I type to post my innermost feelings in cyberspace. I can almost hear the echo...echo...echo... During the aforementioned down time I have gotten myself addicted to the weekly CBS horror mystery, "Harper's Island." It's not the greatest of shows but it is pretty gruesome, fast-paced and a lot of fun. Tonight is part 7 and I can hardly wait for the next slicing and dicing! I have also taken the time to watch 5 of my favorite films of all time. Perhaps not for everyone cause these flicks are all talk and no action. These films make me wish I was more well-read and a better writer. And here they is... LIFE AS A HOUSE - The incomparable Kevin Kline and Hayden Christensen lead an awesome cast of thoughtful dysfunctional characters who contribute to the building of Kline's home. DANCER, TEXAS POP. 81 - Four friends made a sacred vow to leave their small town after graduation and never look back. Full of funny, lovable small town characters. It's a happy face movie! SPRING FORWARD - Ned Beatty and Liev Schreiber are in top form. They become unlikely friends in this all talk pic about change, growth and acceptance. THE WEATHER MAN - Nicolas Cage and my favorite Michael Caine are father and son in this raunchy. totally hilarious and super cool flick that's set right here in Chi-Town! LOVE SONG FOR BOBBY LONG - John Travolta, Gabriel Macht and Scarlett Johansson give impeccable performances in this interesting, original story of 2 friends who share the love of books and alcoholism. Travolta is a self-claimed professor and troubadour and Macht is a writer and Travolta's protege. This is John Travolta's best movie and performance since his comeback in Pulp Fiction, and that was pretty much a one-note character. Here he has much more to work within a wider range. And where the hell did Gabriel Macht come from? And Scarlett is just as hot and perfect as always. Enjoy! These extraordinarily impressive, deeply moving feel good films are what it's all about babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment